Sunday, September 2, 2007

Very Green Bag

from sarah the sewist

(This is one of those projects that is so not my style. But I know the recipient will love it. The shape of this bag is fabulous, but the fabric... It's just so green. I hate green. And the frogs. For some reason, I have not problem with banana seat bikes, garden gnomes or goldfish on my clothes and accessories, but frogs? Not my thing)

I saw this froggy fabric from Heather Ross' new collection for Free Spirit and I new that I just had to make something for my friend (also) Sarah who loves all things green, and especially all things froggy. Enter the Amy Butler Frenchy Bag pattern. This is a very simple pattern really great for showing off interesting fabric combinations. I combined this with a green that appeared in both of the main fabrics. (In fact, I think this bag may encompass 90% of the naturally-occurring shades of green.)

The result? Well, pretty green.



The Frenchy Bags (I made the larger, shoulder bag version) come together really quickly and easier, just like the other Amy Butler patterns I've used lately. However, like everything I sew, I had to tinker a bit.

First, I think this bag is supposed to have four pockets, not two. If it isn't, then dividing the two large pockets into four is definitely an improvement---they sagged inside the liner until I sewed them in half. Now the pockets are perfect for a cell phone (my pal has, of course, a green phone that'll look awfully snazzy with the bag), smaller wallet, compact, that sort of thing.



I also omitted that magnetic snap for a few reasons: it isn't really necessary, because this is a shoulder bag, so hopefully your arm will keep the bag closed as intended; the opening for this bag is actually on the small side, as it tapers where the two fabrics are joined; and, I didn't have a magnetic snap, and really didn't feel like searching one out.

The biggest modification that I made was that this bag calls for sew-in interfacing, like Pellon 40. Anyway, I really hate sew-in interfacing. It's a pain, wastes thread and just annoys me for some reason. (I accidentally bought three yards of it a month or so ago and have been trying to use the stupid stuff up.) Anyway, knowing that my friend is a very busy teacher/dog walker/pet sitter, and that she's always running from place to place and, therefore, this bag will probably really take a beating, I decided I wanted to make this thing a bit more durable that it was originally designed.

Searching through piles of fusible interfacing at Fabric Depot, I found something that looked promising: "Fusible Fleece." Now, I have no idea what fusible fleece is, but the lady who cut it for me thought that it was probably something you use for quilting and other related crafts. Anyway, it felt squishy, not like stiff Timtex, and seemed like it would do a bit more to protect the contents of the bag from abuse. Needless to say, I think this decision was a good one. Excepting the pockets, I used the fusible fleece everywhere the sew-in interfacing was called for. The result was bag that had a lot of body. Which isn't a very good description, but better than "slightly puffy."



Basically, by using the fusible fleece, I created a bag that has a really defined shape, but still is relaxed looking. What I'm most excited about, though, is the way the handles turned out. You can see in the picture that they have a padded look, and, as a result, feel extremely comfortable on the shoulder. Since this is a shoulder bag, that's pretty important. I think that I'll do this to bag handles from now on.

We agreed that quite a few people will likely be getting these bags for Christmas this year---it's that simple to put together.

As always, the dog got in on the action:

3 comments:

poplin said...

I like green but not all green. No, I like all green but I don't wear every green shade imaginable. Yeah, that sounds about right. [grin] But the bag is very cute!

Unknown said...

It looks good. I like that fabric. I like green so I'm ok with any shade. I have been trying to decide which AB bag I want to do for next Spring. I think I like that one the best.

Anonymous said...

Followed your link to your blog on your review of this bag at PR. I love bags and love making them. This one looks like a style my 22 and 20 year-old DGD's would like. In fact, I would like it myself! I hate Timtex and all brands of stiff, board-like interfacing so found the fact that you like the fusible batting/interfacing better. Thanks for a great review and, although I wouldn't use it myself, I think the frogs (I thought they were turtles!) fabric is quite cute!